Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Why the "Arena" Ballot Measure Will Fail.



This begs the question, What Vision? I'm an optimistic person, many times overly optimistic but the truth is with this message to the voters of Sacramento County the reply will be NO, NO, NO! and NO some more. Let's be upfront. I support, yes support public financing for an arena and I cannot possibly see this passing even with 50%.

The real issue here is that the campaign for the tax measure is asking voters to approve public financing for an Arena for the BILLIONAIRE Maloof family. Wrong question!

The voters must have some hope that they will reap some reward for their vote and giving up their hard earned dollars. What if I don't want an arena or I hate the kings, unlikely but possible, or if I just don't like the location. The reality is to entice voters you must provide a smorgasboard of options like a buffet. At the buffet everyone gets to choose their meal, they can mix and match and the whole family goes home happy. If I were to go to a buffet with only one option I would walk out and never return again. So will most everyone else! That's a NO vote.

1. Let's start by showing the public how much private money is being invested into this project. If I know the Maloof's are giving up some skin I feel a lot better.

2. Guarantee that the tax will not start until the facility opens for business. Yes very hard to do but feasible. I don't want to be taxed until I can plop my rear into a seat and see the fruits of my labor.

3. Let the community provide the vision for what Sacramento County could use the money for. If the public input is not broad, open, unbiased, and completely transparent the community will feel as if they are being told what to do and the answer to that is almost always NO. The sacramento community needs to feel engaged in the process. They want to know WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME!

So based on sharethevisionsacramento.com and the question of "Will I vote yes to fund an arena for the Billionaire Maloof family,

I will ask the correct question -

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

No comments: