Friday, January 07, 2011

Sacramento News Meme

It's been a while since I've blogged on this site and I thought I'd add a little update. Still have this Blogger based blog after all these years even with the new upstarts Tumblr and Posterous doing some interesting innovation in the micro blogging space. It seems Twitter has grabbed my attention and become a real source for curated content and social networking.


Built a little side project this week. A Sacramento News and Blog Meme in the style of Digg or Techmeme. Currently aggregating 14 local news sources mostly tv, newspapers, and a couple web only news sites including my 3 in the Metro Media network of course.

The site Sacramento Meme is updated hourly and includes voting buttons and top this month and top this year views. It will be interesting to see how a local aggregator/meme would generate some interest and if a community develops around it. I haven't started curating the content yet, but that's an easy next step if there's interest. I'm curious to see if users will be interested in curating themselves through the submissions and voting features which is much better than pure aggregation I think.

Hard to tell if there's strong enough interest in Sacramento based news to support a aggregated/curated site, but I think this is where news is going along with Branded media which I think I'll devote another post to as I've been thinking a lot about the future of media and Branded media seems to be the next logical step. I'll explain more later.

No comments: