Saturday, June 17, 2006

Virtual Networking and Building a Team

Weekend Wrapup

It's Saturday morning and I have decided unofficially that on the weekends I will blog about the weeks events. A summary or recap if you will about the things I learned the people I met and the general state of the Tomato. You are probably asking why is this blog called the Tech Tomato. Well Tech for technology, and Tomato because the Sac region was known for its agricultural output. And because it kinda rhymes and it's ketchy, sorry bad pun.

Clint Swett - Staff writer for the Sacramento Bee wrote in Thursday's business pages about a company called LinkedIn.com Great company, perfect for business to business networking and they have a revenue model which works. But what about Jimmy Joe Bob who wants to start a business and is looking for a way to attract team members. Well it seems to me on LinkedIn one still must network and meet others offline. Whereas with a relatively new web services called Meetup.com one can setup a virtual group, send out a few email invites and coordinate a meeting without ever leaving home.

There is a link to this service at the bottom of the page and you will see there are already 164 entrepreneur meetups in the country. I predict meetup will become the virtual town center of the future. The tools and interface are clean. They have a revenue model to sustain operations and the concept scales really well. It's so easy to use my Grandmother could find a group and join! As a group is formed members are invited and virally the group grows daily. These people invite others and you get the idea. So if I had to choose the next BIG BIG thing in social networking I would take a look at Meetup.com. I use it and am growing to love it. It seems to be a perfect fit for entrepreneurs looking to find teams or team members. Try it out.

That's all he wrote. What is your favorite social networking website?

No comments: